Engineering Department
[email protected]

William E. Masol, P.E., C.M.E.
Township Engineer

The Engineering Department is responsible for maintenance, design, construction and repair of Township infrastructure, including storm sewer, sanitary sewer and roadway systems; and, municipal buildings and grounds maintenance. This department also has oversight of Public Works that has responsibility for snow removal, street cleaning, leaf collection, tree trimming, maintenance, security and custodial services for Township buildings and properties. Engineering staff does inspections and responds to inquiries related to curbs, sidewalks, driveway aprons and road openings.

General Office Hours
Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Click here to see the FEMA Homeowner’s Guide to Elevating Your Home.

NJDEP-Division of Water Quality Storm Water Tip Brochure

NJDEP-Division of Water Quality Car Wash Tip Card

NJDEP-Division of Water Quality Motor Oil Tip Card

NJDEP-Division of Water Quality – Fertilizer Tip Card

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Q. When will my road be repaved or reconstructed?

    A. Roadway pavement and reconstruction work recommendations are made by the Township Engineer, and are based on road surface condition and traffic volume.  The roads to be repaved or reconstructed are determined by the Township Committee and funded in the capital budget.

  • Q. What does the pump station do for us?

    A. The pump station discharges the storm water that cannot get through the dikes (levees) once the outflow gates from the many underground drainage pipe systems close. These gates have to close so the river water does not come back up into the local storm water piping systems and flood the roadways and properties. The pump station continues to allow the storm water from these local piping systems to get into the river without flooding the streets. This keeps the roadways and properties from flooding until the river water goes over the dikes (levees.)

  • Q. Are the floodgates being opened?

    A. The openings of the floodgates are determined by a long established Township protocol based on upstream river gauge readings. When the staff gauge at the Balmiere Pedestrian Footbridge reads 61.5′ or greater, the floodgates at Riverside Drive will be opened. Sometimes they may be opened earlier in anticipation of imminent flooding, or for the safety of our workers.

  • Q. Do I need a permit for a dumpster or pod?

    A. Yes, if the dumpster will be placed in the street. This can be obtained at the engineering department for a fee of $10.00.  There is no fee if the dumpster will be placed in your driveway.

  • Q. I'm making changes to my driveway. Do I need a permit?

    A. Yes. You need to see the Zoning Department. Call 709-7216 for an appointment.

  • Q. Do you have a survey or elevation information for my property?

    A. No. You would have to contact a professional land surveyor to obtain this information.

  • Q. Is there an easement on my property?

    A. You can view tax maps in the Tax Assessor’s office. This is where the most updated property records are kept.

  • Q. What do I do about my neighbor's property which is being graded higher that my property?

    A. Contact the Engineering Department as soon as possible. We need to see what the existing grade is before they completely fill the area. If you call many months later, it is very difficult to determine how much filling actually took place.

  • Q. There are colored flags on my property or in other areas on my street. What does that mean?

    A. Colored flags usually represent underground utility mark outs. If any digging is to be done in the area, the contractor, by law, must first call for a utility mark out. All the local utility companies will then come and mark the approximate location of their underground utility lines. Sometimes the name of the utility company is marked on the flag. Professional land surveyors also mark out property corners, or survey markers. They sometimes mark the proposed location of something that is to be constructed. These colored markings are ribbon tied to a piece of wood to signify the approximate location of the survey point.

  • Q. What do I do about my neighbor's sump pump discharging water toward my property?

    A. Sump pump and roof drain discharges are allowed, as long as they are more then ten feet from your property. If the discharge is closer then ten feet, you contact the Zoning Office at 709-7216 because it is a violation of Township Code.

  • Q. What do I do about my sidewalk that is damaged by a township tree?

    A. Call the Public Works Dept. at 908-709-7217 to have the sidewalk checked.  If the sidewalk is damaged by a Township tree, the roots will be cut and the sidewalk will be replaced or repaired.