• Q. When are the Township Offices open?

    A. The Municipal Building is open from 8 am to 4:30 pm. Other facilities, such as the Library, Recreation Center and the Pools have expanded hours. Please check those department pages for specific information.

  • Q. When does the Township Committee meet?

    A. The Commissioners hold workshop and official meetings the second and fourth weeks of the month, except July and August. Click here for the full meeting schedule.

  • Q. Can I pay my property taxes and sewer bill online?

    A. Yes. Click the box “Tax Payments Online” and follow the directions.

  • Q. Does the Township have an emergency notification system for emergencies?

    A. Yes. We encourage you to sign up for the free service NIXLE. You can get important announcements via text message or email. www.nixle.com

  • Q. Does the Township have a regular Town Newsletter?

    A. Twice a year, the Township publishes a Town News magazine with information about programs and services. It is mailed directly to every Cranford home. [Soon, the Township will also publish a brief monthly newsletter sent by email. Your email address will only be used for the newsletter or emergency announcement and will not be shared.]

  • Q. Who should I call if the light is out on my street?

    A. You should notify PSE&G at 1 (800) 436-7734.

  • Q. Do I need a permit for a garage sale?

    A. A permit for a garage sale is not required however registration with the Police Department is required, at no fee. Click here for registration form.

  • Q. Can I have a block party and do I need a permit?

    A. Neighbors are permitted to have a block party. Contact (908) 709-7200 for information and a permit application.

  • Q. Where do I get a permit for the Conservation Center?

    A. You can purchase a permit at the Health Department or at the Conservation Center?

  • Q. Who should I call about overgrown weeds, trash or debris on private property?

    A. Please call the Health Department at (908) 709-7238.